Making instant dhokla mix at home is a convenient way to have this popular Indian snack readily available whenever you want to prepare it. Here’s a simple recipe for preparing instant dhokla mix:
- 1 cup gram flour (besan)
- 1/4 cup fine semolina (sooji)
- 1 tablespoon rice flour (optional, for extra softness)
- 1 teaspoon citric acid or lemon juice (for the sourness)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon oil
- A pinch of asafoetida (hing)
- Dry Ingredients:
- In a large mixing bowl, combine gram flour, fine semolina, rice flour (if using), citric acid (or lemon juice), baking soda, turmeric powder, salt, and sugar. Mix them well.
- In a small pan, heat 1 teaspoon of oil over medium heat. Add mustard seeds and let them splutter. Add sesame seeds and asafoetida. Fry for a few seconds until they become aromatic.
- Add the tempering to the dry ingredients mixture. Mix everything thoroughly to ensure the tempering is evenly distributed.
- Once the mixture is well combined, store it in an airtight container. It can be kept in a cool, dry place for up to a month.
To make instant dhokla using this mix:
- Prepare Batter:
- Take the desired amount of mix in a bowl (usually 1 cup of mix is enough for a small batch of dhokla). Add water gradually while whisking to make a smooth, lump-free batter. The batter should be of pouring consistency, similar to pancake batter.
- Grease a dhokla tray or a plate and pour the batter into it. Tap it gently to remove any air bubbles. Place it in a steamer and steam for about 12-15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cooling and Tempering:
- Allow the dhokla to cool for a few minutes. Cut it into squares or diamonds.
- Prepare Tempering:
- In a small pan, heat some oil. Add mustard seeds, curry leaves, and green chilies (if desired). Pour this tempering over the dhokla.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and grated coconut if you like. Serve with green chutney or tamarind chutney.
Enjoy your homemade instant dhokla! Remember to adjust the amount of mix and water based on how many servings you want to prepare.