Cinnamon Roll Cookies
Cinnamon Roll Cookies bring together the comforting warmth of cinnamon rolls and the delightful convenience of bite-sized cookies. This irresistible treat combines the classic flavors of cinnamon, sugar, and butter in a unique and portable form, perfect for any occasion. Whether you’re a baking enthusiast or a casual home chef, this recipe is sure to win the hearts of anyone with a sweet tooth.
For the Cookie Dough:
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
For the Cinnamon Filling:
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
For the Cream Cheese Glaze:
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-3 tablespoons milk
- Prepare the Cookie Dough: In a large mixing bowl, cream together the softened butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla extract, mixing until well combined.
- Combine Dry Ingredients: In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, mixing until a soft cookie dough forms.
- Roll out the Dough: Divide the cookie dough in half. Roll each portion into a rectangle, about 1/4 inch thick, on a lightly floured surface.
- Prepare the Cinnamon Filling: Brush each rolled-out dough rectangle with melted butter. In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar and ground cinnamon. Sprinkle the cinnamon-sugar mixture evenly over the buttered dough.
- Roll and Chill: Starting from one long side, carefully roll each rectangle into a log. Wrap the logs in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or until firm.
- Preheat and Slice: Preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C). Remove the chilled dough logs from the refrigerator and slice them into 1/4-inch thick rounds. Place the slices on a parchment-lined baking sheet, leaving some space between each cookie.
- Bake to Perfection: Bake the cookies in the preheated oven for 10-12 minutes or until the edges are lightly golden. Allow them to cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Prepare the Cream Cheese Glaze: In a small bowl, beat together the softened cream cheese, powdered sugar, vanilla extract, and enough milk to achieve a drizzling consistency.
- Drizzle and Enjoy: Once the cookies are completely cooled, drizzle the cream cheese glaze over the top of each cookie.
- Serve and Share: Arrange the Cinnamon Roll Cookies on a plate and serve them at room temperature. Share these delectable treats with friends and family, and watch as they disappear quickly!
Variations and Tips:
- Nutty Delight: For an extra layer of flavor and texture, consider adding chopped nuts such as pecans or walnuts to the cinnamon-sugar filling before rolling the dough.
- Raisin or Dried Fruit Infusion: Enhance the flavor profile by incorporating chopped raisins, dried cranberries, or apricots into the cinnamon filling. This not only adds sweetness but also introduces a chewy element to the cookies.
- Chocolate Swirls: Elevate the indulgence by incorporating a layer of chocolate into the cinnamon roll cookies. Sprinkle chocolate chips or grated chocolate over the cinnamon-sugar mixture before rolling up the dough.
- Icing Options: Experiment with different icing options. A simple vanilla glaze, a maple-flavored drizzle, or even a spiced cream cheese icing can bring unique dimensions to the cookies.
- Chill Wisely: While chilling the dough is crucial for easy slicing and maintaining the cookie’s shape during baking, don’t over-chill. If the dough becomes too firm, let it sit at room temperature for a few minutes before slicing.
- Uniform Slices: To achieve evenly sized cookies, use a sharp knife and cut the log with a steady hand. You can also use dental floss to make clean cuts without squishing the dough.
- Customize the Size: Adjust the size of the cookies based on your preference. Larger slices will result in softer, chewier cookies, while smaller ones may yield a slightly crisper texture.
- Storage and Freshness: Store the Cinnamon Roll Cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week. For longer storage, freeze the baked cookies and thaw as needed.
- Cookie Tower: Arrange the cookies in a tower formation for a visually appealing presentation. Drizzle the cream cheese glaze generously over the top for a beautiful finish.
- Gift Packages: Package the cookies in decorative boxes or jars tied with a ribbon. These make excellent gifts for birthdays, holidays, or as a sweet gesture for friends and neighbors.
- Serve with a Side: Pair the Cinnamon Roll Cookies with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream for a decadent dessert experience.
In conclusion, Cinnamon Roll Cookies are a versatile and scrumptious treat that allows for creative experimentation. Whether you stick to the classic recipe or venture into various flavor combinations, these cookies are sure to become a favorite among those lucky enough to indulge in their warm, cinnamon-infused goodness. So, roll up your sleeves, preheat the oven, and enjoy the delightful journey of baking and savoring these delicious treats.